I am reading a bunch of books that are at various stages of being finished.
Starting to read a book usually has one of, or a combination of the following reasons:
- It's damned interesting
- It could be useful for schoolwork
- It could be useful or is necessary for work
- Someone gave me the impression that I should read it
Usually, the problem with finishing them before starting the next one is some combination of the following reasons:
- Periodicals get in the way. They're interesting and bite-sized and damn do I have a lot of them!
- One of the four above reasons become heavily weighted due to prioritizing needs and requires a change in reading material
- Material isn't suitable for short reading sessions - it's too dense or not as meaningful in little pieces
- Book is a PDF or e-book tucked away on my computer somewhere and outta sight, outta mind
- Not using bookmarks and/or reading late at night mean re-reading sections again and again
- I'm pretty sure I read more slowly than most people :-(